Following significant investment over the last 18 months, national boating business, boatfolk, launches a new era of marina at Haslar this year, which also marks its 30th anniversary.
In November 2021, boatfolk announced ambitious plans to invest £3.5 million to develop the site. Today, more than £4 million has been invested to improve Haslar Marina, Portsmouth Harbour, to make it one of the leading boating destinations on the south coast. Works includes:
- The renovation and relaunch of The Lightship restaurant on the iconic lightship, offering fine dining and a breath-taking top deck bar with sweeping views of Portsmouth Harbour.
- The opening of The Creek, a waterside restaurant with views over the marina.
- The launch of 11 premium hotel rooms.
- Revamped berth holder facilities, including complete renovation of the G pontoon washrooms and 30 additional car parking spaces.
- Installation of an additional 36 deep water berths for larger boats, and new wave break pontoons to provide more sheltered berthing in the north part of the marina.
- A new motorboat service centre including an upgraded public slipway with pontoon for launching and recovering powerboats, enlarged boatyard and full service boatcare team.
- Onsite boatpoint boat brokerage office.
- The introduction of Beyonder, a boat subscription offering.
All the new services are run by boatfolk and has generated many new jobs for the local community.
Michael Prideaux, Managing Director at boatfolk, says, “When boatfolk launched in 2020 it set out to reinvent the modern marina. The major investment into Haslar's relaunch this year sees us achieving this and setting the blueprint for a new type of marina; creating a place that everyone is welcome to enjoy and where everything is taken care of by a single team of passionate boaters. This makes it easy for anyone to get on the water and have fun afloat and ensures our customers can spend more time enjoying life on the water.”
Ben Lippiett, Haslar Marina General Manager, adds, “Our marina is located on the Eastern Solent and is home to some of the most popular cruising waters in the world. We are thrilled to enhance our facilities and expand our offering to both our berth holders and visitors alike, as well as supporting the local economy and community. By creating a place everyone is welcome to enjoy, we hope we will attract a wider range of people, both on and off the water.”
Nigel Normington, Haslar Marina Berth Holder, says, “If we weren’t already the best marina with all of the improvements we certainly are now. Your ‘first rate’ crew are the icing on the cake. Such a friendly and positive bunch of professionals who greatly add to the enjoyment of each visit.”
Scott Drinkwater, Haslar Marina Berth Holder, adds, “Haslar Marina has made me feel like a valued member of their community, going above and beyond to ensure I have everything I need to enjoy my new boat.”
The Marina is celebrating its thirty years with a series of events throughout the year, kicking off with hosting the Gosport Maritime Festival on Saturday 20th May, and following up with a series of community and berth holder events, on and off the water.
Haslar Marina was built in 1993 thanks to John Dean and Richard Reddyhoff. Today, it currently has 650 berths for boats up to 45m. The marina employs 25 full time equivalent jobs, rising to 50 during peak times. There are currently 15 existing businesses based on-site, employing up to 50 people at peak times. Two of the businesses include Alex Thomson Racing, supporting two Open 60 Vendée Globe campaigns, and James Harayda, a new British Vendée Globe hopeful, proudly based at Haslar Marina, with his Open 60 Gentoo.
Plans for additional investment are in development to further improve the marina's sustainability credentials and enhance the facilities even more.
With new joiners still being accepted for the 2023/24 berthing season there has never been a better time to join the Haslar Marina Community. For a berthing quote, visit: www.boatfolk.co.uk/join-us-next-season.
For further information about boatfolk, visit www.boatfolk.co.uk.
For more information about boatpoint, visit www.boatpoint.co.uk